Tempest : all-new tales of Valdemar
Twenty-four authors ride with Mercedes Lackey to her magical land of Valdemar, adding their own unique voices to the Heralds, Bards, Healers, and other heroes of this beloved fantasy realm. The Heralds of Valdemar are the kingdom's ancient order of protectors. They are drawn from all across the land, from all walks of life, and at all ages--and all are Gifted with abilities beyond those of normal men and women. They are Mindspeakers, FarSeers, Empaths, ForeSeers, Firestarters, FarSpeakers, and more. These inborn talents--combined with training as emissaries, spies, judges, diplomats, scouts, counselors, warriors, and more--make them indispensable to their monarch and realm. Sought and Chosen by mysterious horse-like Companions, they are bonded for life to these telepathic, enigmatic creatures. The Heralds of Valdemar and their Companions ride circuit throughout the kingdom, protecting the peace and, when necessary, defending their land and monarch. Now, twenty-three authors ride with Mercedes Lackey to her magical land of Valdemar, adding their own unique voices to the Heralds, Bards, Healers, and other heroes of this beloved fantasy realm. Join Elizabeth Vaughan, Fiona Patton, Jennifer Brozek, Brenda Cooper, Rosemary Edghill, and others in twenty-two original stories, including a brand-new novella by Mercedes Lackey, to Valdemar, where: A Herald must crack an ancient code in a historic tapestry in order to arbitrate a dispute over land and lineage... A Healer's daughter flees the noble family that has trapped and enslaved her mother, and must seek help to free her mother... A young woman who hides her clairvoyant powers from her town's Karsite priests ForeSees a threat, and must risk revealing her Gift to save her community... A Herald finds his assistant has been abducted by a man upon whom he had levied a heavy fine, and must foil the kidnapper's plans to save his charge...
9 available of 10 items
Genre: Science fiction.
- Brozek, Jennifer, 1970- Feathers in flight.
- Collins, Ron. Blind leaps.
- Cooper, Brenda, 1960- Apprentice and the stable master.
- Dermatis, Dayle A. Unraveling the truth.
- Edghill, Rosemary. Harmless as serpents.
- Lackey, Mercedes, editor.
- Lang, Michele. Sparrow's gift.
- Patton, Fiona, 1962- Haver Hearthstone.
- Shaver, Stephanie D. Small quarrel.
- Vaughan, Elizabeth (Elizabeth A.). Unimagined consequences.
- Wurts, Janny. Girl without the gifts.
Description: vi, 394 pages ; 18 cm.
- A small quarrel / Stephanie D. Shaver
- Girl without the gifts / Janny Wurts
- Unimagined consequences / Elizabeth Vaughan
- Feathers in flight / Jennifer Brozek
- Blind leaps / Ron Collins
- Haver hearthstone / Fiona Patton
- Unraveling the truth / Dayle A. Dermatis
- Sparrow's gift / Michele Lang
- Harmless as serpents / Rosemary Edghill
- The apprentice and the stable master / Brenda Cooper
- Unexpected meeting / Nancy Asire
- A trip of goats / Elisabeth waters
- The ones she couldn't save / Louisa Swann
- One last night manning the home station / Brigid Collins
- Only family matters / D. Shull
- Medley / Jessica Schlenker & Michael Z. Williamson
- A tangle of truths / Angela Penrose
- The unwanted gift / Anthea Sharp
- Dawn of a new age / Dylan Birtolo
- Bloodlines / Phaedra Weldon
- In name only / Kristin Schwengel
- Ripples and cracks / Larry Dixon and Mercedes Lackey.